Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Books I like, books I love: Divergent

Do you know that empty feeling you can have after you finished a book you really liked? If you're lucky the book is one of a series and you can run to the library to get the second part. But what if you have finished the whole series? After I had finished reading the The Hunger Games trilogy I had that sad feeling and the best way to get over it is find another great series to read. That isn't as easy as it sounds though. Since I'm not the kind of girl for whom a simple love-triangle is enough the YAL-genre often disappoints me (anyone tried the Hush Hush series? Man those sucked!). I want to read a good story too. So it took a while till I found a new series that I'm psyched about.  Now that I've found it I would like to share it with you guys (whoever you are): It's the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth.
Divergent #1 - Insurgent #2- Detergent #3 (joke of the author)


Since I'm too lazy to write a summary myself I'll just give you the one Veronica Roth posted on her own blog:

In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is.

Of course the books has its flaws: Veronica Roth is not an amazing writer; her sentences are very short and plain and especially in the beginning this annoyed me a bit. Still, I liked it very much. I stayed up till 1.30 a.m. to finish the book. I didn't want to put it away and go to sleep. This only happens when I really like a book. I wish I could start reading Insurgent right now, but the library doesn't have it yet. Sad panda.


No comments:

Post a Comment