Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My indietracks top five.

Yes another post about Indietracks and it won't be the last one either. I'm sorry, I can't help it, but it just was such a great place to be! All five bands were really, really great, but here we go: my personal top five.

When? Sunday July 31st, 2011.
Where? Outdoor stage.

Withered Hand 
Withered Hands is a Scottish singer-songwriter, still he performed with a band which included drums, cello, banjo and guitar (which he played himself), surprisingly enough no-one was playing bass in this band (except for one song), but I guess the cello kind of took over the function of the bass. When the singer talked it was in a high-pitched voice which sounded a bit pinched, but when he sung it didn't bother me at all. The music he makes is a kind of folk, very soothing and relaxing to listen too. But when the drums kicked in in some songs it became more danceable and sometimes reminded me a bit of Mumford & Sons. Anyway, I bought the Good News cd (and got it signed. Even by the banjo player who only was in the band for the day (didn't know that, oops)) so needless to say I liked it!

When? Saturday July 30th, 2011
Where? A completely filled Indoor Stage



Edwyn Collins kind of was the "big name" who was performing at Indietracks. Still, I hadn't heard of him, but I guess he was kind of before my time since his big hit "Girl Like You" was in 1994 when I was only two years old. The man is kind of old now and in 2005 he had a stroke so he limps a bit, but there sure is nothing wrong with his voice! It really is too bad that most people only know Girl Like You because he has many more great songs which are very danceable too! I really enjoyed the performance and may I add that the guitarist on the left wasn't bad to look at either? ;)

When? Saturday July 30th, 2011
Where? A little acoustic performance at the outdoor stage and the real thing later that evening at the indoor stage.
At their second performance the lead singer dressed-up a bit more
Our friendly neighbour had told us that he was really looking forward to The Hidden Cameras who were supposed to the heighlight of the day. However when they wanted to start their performance at 19:40 at the outdoor stage there were some problems with the electricity. So they improvised a few songs acoustically. It was so great! A lot of people had gone away already, but with the about twohundred people that were left we stood close to the stage to hear the singer, the guitar, the cello, the flute, the drummer who had found maracas and the bassist who was singing the harmonies while the keybord player was filming the whole happening with his iPhone. It was magical. (Here's a Video)
Later that everning they got a second chance at the  Indoor Stage with working electrics. Great great great performance! They were so energetic! Teaching weird little dances to the audience and jumping around.
So.Much.Fun.

To be honest though I did like the acoustic version of their music better. And it's not music I will listen to at home, too much "pa pa pa pa" (if you have listened to them you'll get what I mean). But that doesn't take away the fact that it's a great live band and if I will ever get the chance to see them again (preferebly in Holland) I'll definitely go!

When? Sunday July 31st, 2011
Where? Outdoor Stage.

*pictures will follow* 

Not much too say. Nice indiepop. Great performance. Danced a lot. Bought a t-shirt (even though that meant that we didn't have enough money to take the bus the next day. That says something huh? About the band I mean, not about the irresponsible way I handle money).

When? Friday July 29th, 2011
Where? Outdoor Stage.



Actually Herman Dune and Suburban Kids With Biblical Names could be the other way around as well. But I had to put one on top. The performance started with the singer forgetting the lyrics to the first song three times in a row, I'm still not sure whether that was an act or not. But after that the performance was one big energetic flow of cool music with nice synthesizer melodies (not unlike Two Door Cinema Club), the blonde girl should stick to playing those melodies though, because the harmonies she sung weren't always on key... I forgot about my blisters and danced for the whole set. Now that's a good performance.  (I didn't make any videos myself, but here's one. The sound's a bit crappy)

No comments:

Post a Comment